Leadership Development Resource (LDR) Weekend
Vision, Mission and Goals
The LDR Weekend began as a venture for recruiting African Americans into the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). Throughout the years, it has become a safe haven and gathering space for people who want to talk frankly about race, gender, and other core cultural concerns from a theologically Reformed perspective–all in a “family reunion” type atmosphere.
The Vision of the Leadership Development Resource (LDR) is to see, by God’s grace and mercy, a grass roots, theologically reformed, Gospel movement in North America alongside our brothers and sisters in the diverse body of Christ.
The Mission of the LDR is to make disciples. LDR seeks to connect, educate, empower, and challenge attendees around issues that matter for the African American believer and broader community. Holding fast to both Biblical fidelity and cultural honesty, we invite all peoples into a reformed understanding of Holy Scriptures and the obedience of faith in every square inch of life. Through radical hospitality, we endeavor to proclaim Christ as Lord, Liberator, and Lover of our souls.
The Goals of LDR are to:
- Build momentum and maintain relationships through annual gatherings and regional meetings hosted by local churches.
- Build and encourage a movement of prayer.
- Recruit African Americans and other minorities into Reformed seminaries.
- Recruit African Americans and other minority church planters to start PCA and other Reformed churches.
- Refresh and equip current African American and other minority church leaders.
- Engage inter-minority dialogue among all people groups.
- Provide a safe space for minority Christians to be themselves without explaining themselves.
- Connect current and emerging leaders through inter-generational mentoring.
- Educate for the purpose of promoting real talk about racial unity and justice.
LDR Weekend 2019
The Redemptive Power of Genuine Love
“Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.” (Romans 12:9-10)
Being an African American member of a majority culture church comes with a unique set of challenges. It’s hard to be the only one and be the representative voice for diversity. It’s challenging to desire authentic relationships, yet feel isolated and misunderstood. We need to be honest about our reality and seek solutions that help us bear fruit where God has placed us. Yet God’s solutions tend to be radically different from our own.
The Apostle Paul’s exhortation in Romans 12:9-21, although counter intuitive and counter-cultural, is the excellent way of love. This year’s theme “The Redemptive Power of Genuine Love” aims to show how these verses apply to our experience.
Come join us for a time of sound teaching, vibrant worship and rich fellowship. Return home overflowing with hope and confidence rooted in Jesus Christ.
Date: August 30 – September 1, 2019
Location: Chattanooga, TN
General Registration: Begins May 15
Cost: $99 until August 15
For specific questions about registration, volunteering, and exhibitor tables contact us at LDRWeekend@gmail.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is LDR Weekend?
- LDR is part of a movement for men and women, ministry leaders, volunteers, pastors, and church families who desire to address core concerns in Black communities. Conference content is designed for and by people of color. People of all ethnic backgrounds and denominations are welcome to attend.
- Is LDR only for African Americans?
- The event is specifically geared toward the African American experience in the Reformed tradition of Christianity. Since space is limited, we try to make registration available to this community first. However, we welcome other attendees to come and learn as space allows.
- Is LDR a PCA event?
- Yes, LDR is hosted by the African American Ministries under Mission to North America, which is part of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).
- Is LDR only for people interested in being pastors?
- LDR is designed to help leaders at all stages discover how God is guiding them to faithfully serve within their vocational calling and giftedness. All believers interested in advancing the gospel through their influential leadership are encouraged to attend.
- What about college and seminary students?
- Students are particularly welcome! One of the goals of the LDR is to help college and seminary students gain insight and guidance about where God may be calling them.
- Which meals are provided with registration?
- Dinner (Friday & Saturday) and Lunch (Saturday)
- Can you help me find housing & transportation?
- Participants may make their own hotel arrangements or choose to stay with host families from local churches. We will also provide some transportation between venue sites. We’ll provide more information during the registration process.
- Is childcare offered?
- Yes, free childcare by qualified, trustworthy caregivers will be offered during the conference for infants to grade 5. We’ll provide more information during the registration process.